Saturday, September 10, 2011

beans and cornbread had a fight.....cornbread won!!!

Well early this afternoon I sat out some steaks to thaw so that we could grill them this evening. Well after me and JT had talked about it we decided to put it off until tomorrow, because he needed to wrap up the last bit of his sermon prep for Sunday morning and I didn't want to eat the steaks without him. So he left and time for supper rolled around and I realized that I had not looked to see what my other alternative for food was. So , i'm sure like every mom or wife does at some point, I opened the cabinet and sighed. Thinking to myself, I really don't want peanut butter and jelly or ravioli and no mac-n-cheese or
spaghetti o's and absolutely no tuna fish. So I started digging through all the canned goods and found 2  cans of cream of mushroom soup. I thought...hhhmmmm....then i saw carrots and peas and canned chicken breast. I can make this work....i hope. So i then immediately thought about chicken pot pie, but I had no bisquick or a pie crust, so that was a no. Then I found cornbread mix. That's the winner. So i got on the good ole' google search engine and looked up how long to cook chicken pot pie and discovered that cornbread chicken pot pie really is a dish. Ecclesiastes 1:9 , "History merely repeats itself. It has been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new".   So then I had to call my mother-in-law to find out if the canned chicken was already cooked (YEAH, THIS IS HOW IGNORANT I AM TO COOKING). So finding out that it was, really helped in the time it took to prepare it. So anyway, I cooked it and it actually turned out really good. I was very pleased with myself. I couldn't believe that I had actually made my very first, homemade meal. Here is the recipe if any of you would like to try it. It is super cheap to make and super easy.

First, set your oven on 400*

2 cans of canned chicken (or you could, I am sure, use actual chicken breast and boil them and cut them up into tiny pieces)
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
1 can of sliced carrots
1 can of peas
1 can of corn
about 1/4 cup of flour
about a tablespoon of olive oil
1 box of corn muffin mix
and you will need a 2 quart casserole dish

So, first pour the cream of mushroom into a large pot and add the olive oil (to help with consistency) and then add the flour. Let it begin to bubble a little (and continue to stir it so it will not stick to the sides) then add your canned veggies and chicken. Pour all the ingredients into the casserole dish.

In another bowl prepare the corn muffin mix according to the box instructions , then pour it evenly over the ingredients in the casserole dish. Put it in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the top of corn bread is golden brown and it looks done. Get it out and enjoy.

Here is the finished product:



If you make it, I hope that you like it.

2 comments:

  1. look at you being all fancy with your homemade food! thats so awesome! i make yummy CPP too! did isaac like it?

    One whole rotisserie chicken from kroger
    2 deep dish frozen pie crusts
    1 can of cream of potato soup
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    1 can of carrots
    1 can of peas
    1 can of corn
    1 can of sliced potatoes
    sometimes i use green beans too

    i pour all the veggies into a strainer bc i dont like it runny inside the pie. i mix all the ingredients together (after i have taken all the chicken off the bone) and add some salt and pepper. put the pillsbury crust on top and bake til its golden brown. DELICIOUS!!! id love to try the cornbread crust!

    i love that you connected this with a bible verse too : )

    ReplyDelete